Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Become as a little child..."

I love to have my children invite their friends to our home. I have fun hosting them, listening to them play, and making things fun for the whole group. Unfortunately, there are always those friends that are harder for me to enjoy than others. The selfish, picky, rude, or spoiled ones... they are not quite as much fun to have over.

Today, we invited a friend over for my five-year-old son. The little boy was not in the house three minutes before I began regretting my choice. He didn't want to play anything but the game HE wanted to play!!! After offering three different choices (things that I carried up from the basement- whew!) and each response being ruder than the first, I was ready to throw him back into the car and take him home.

I left the room in disgust, hoping that his mom had forgotten that he had some kind of appointment and would show up unexpectedly any minute. My son had a better, more Christ-like approach. Ben calmly and willingly accepted the little boy's idea and patiently helped him until things were peaceful again. I am constantly being taught by my children and being reminded why the Lord has commanded us to be like little children.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I agree...my kids teach me way more than I could ever teach them!
I love to have friends over too...but I have a rule...if they are difficult, rude, or unkind to siblings..they only come 1 time! I can't do it! The sweet ones, I would have over every day!
I have heard my kids tell their friends, that they must treat their siblings kindly or they won't be able to come back! :)
It works!