Yesterday a friend of mine was visiting. Through our conversation she soon found that I let my children use real scissors (Not those nasty little kindergarten scissors that don't cut) whenever they want to. An unmistakable look of horror crossed her face. (This particular friend was a pediatrician and has recently joined the ranks of motherhood).
At first I felt a need to defend myself and my children's artistic needs... All four of my little Rembrandts are constantly drawing, gluing, painting, coloring and yes, CUTTING. As a child I was free to, and encouraged to use any of the incredible supply of art media that was always at our fingertips.
I remember going to a friend's house to do a school project when I was in the third grade. I was shocked when she had to ask permission to use a pair of scissors that were safely kept on top of her refrigerator.
I love that my kids can create something on their own and right when they get the idea in their heads. Granted, there have been a few casualties... the two or three unscheduled hair cuts, the crayoned walls, permanent marker on the counter tops, pen on every writable surface, a cut finger, and a few more. But on the whole... I'd rather live dangerously with art supplies and SCISSORS... than the alternative.
6 comments:
You ARE a dangerous woman Annie! You brave little soul.
I'm totally with you! I do sometimes hide the scissors from certain toddlers who are showing a desire to trim their bangs but those blunt little scissors are completely useless! Kids should be free to create and CUT!!
Well.... I have no issues with using decent scissors, but they do have use them at the table and under supervision. We've had some bad unscheduled hair cuts, and I would prefer not to do that AGAIN. The crayons are there for use whenever, which results in several wall and furniture murals.... Oh well. :)
Bless your little creative (and brave) heart for having such courage in the face of public outcry. Our 8 are still alive and kicking and I like to change wall colors now and then and hair grows back and what were bandaids made for anyway....go little creative geniuses go!
Dad and I love all the pictures and cards your Rembrandts make for us by the way. We look forward to each visit.
I just found your blog because I needed some Annie sunshine! This is too funny Annie! Especially because Meggie just gave herself an "unscheduled haircut" ... and Eve's hair just finished growing back.
We recently had our first hair cutting by our kids...so I guess I am not too good at keeping the scissors out of reach :) But my personal preference is after kindergarten age, the kids should be able to use scissors safely...but I think everyone parents their own way, and I never judge others or say they do it a wrong way...I do copy other parenting ideas, though...I am still learning to be a parent and I don't think you should ever stop learning how to be a good parent! Love that your kids can be creative...what more can I say to make this the longest comment ever... :)
Post a Comment