Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pioneer Children... walked and walked and...

Family home evening last night was pioneer themed. We invited some friends to join us on our mini trek. We read a cute children's story(When Pioneer Wagons Rumbled West, by Christine Graham), sang pioneer songs, and then ventured forth. I had rigged up our garden wagon with hoola-hoops and a little sewing to make a covered wagon. Brett left some "challenges"hidden along the trail. The kids had to find them, read a little about the trials the pioneers faced, and then try the challenge.
The one that tugged at my heart was challenge #2: "Sometimes ma's and pa's died along the trail. Try going a little way with out our help." My friend and I handed our babies to our oldest girls and stood back. As I watched our two seven-year olds daughters hold their baby brothers and struggle to keep hiking, I could see it - feel it - how it must have been for those families. How those parents who had "gone ahead" must have hovered near and tried to strengthen those children who had to carry on without them. Good grief, I sobbing as I write this!

The kids got to dress up a little. My son and his little bud getting all cowboy-ed up. I was laughing when Ben came down dressed like that... check out the plaid and the overalls. Madi and her friend. I told each of the kids to bring one special toy. One of the challenges later was that they had to leave the toy along the trail. (Don't worry, they didn't really have to leave it behind).
I whipped this skirt and apron out for Brooke a the last minute. She LOVED being a pioneer in her new duds.
These little pioneers seem to be excited to "leave their homes behind." The wagon in the back was my afternoons labors. Unfortunately it didn't last long.
My friend's little guy really had fun riding in the wagon.

If you ignore the buildings, it really looks authentic. Cool place for a mini trek huh? Yup, this is a block from my front door.

This was another one of the challenges. These three pioneer "got sick"and had to ride in the wagon for a bit. Daddy made it easy on the others and was the "oxen" the whole time. Poor guy. Well, at least this challenge was when we were on flat ground and not on one of the monster hills we hiked.

The kids had to hop on one foot for a few minutes... Challenge #3: "some pioneer children didn't have any shoes... pretend you just got a thorn in your foot."

We made it! And what do you know, "merry and happy where they," the whole way.



5 comments:

Ang said...

Holy cow! What a brilliant idea. You are my hero! I'm totally going to do that..... it might not work the same with teenagers, but we'll try anyway!!

Marley Family said...

What a fun idea! Your kids look so cute playing pioneers;)

Jessica Newman said...

This is awesome! We will be using this idea for sure! Thanks Annie!

Emily said...

Aw! So sweet and sad! I had to give a talk on Sunday on that and it always makes me cry! Great way to teach your kiddos...you are so awesome!

Roxanne said...

Way to go Annie and Brett! You are amazing. I love your pics and what a great idea!