There was a crash this morning while I was upstairs getting ready. One of those glass shattering, mom-cringing crashes. As I ran down the stairs to investigate... I already knew what I was going to have to say. It is the same thing my mother has said over and over and over again as she raised a house full of eight rambunctious, very active children: "It's a good thing I love kids better than I love things."
Sometimes it was said with gritted teeth. Sometimes it was sighed with tears in her eyes... but she always said it. When I was the child that had just broken a treasured item, I was so grateful for my mom's "motto." She would say it as she looked down at the pile of shards, and I knew that she meant it. I would still feel horrible for causing the tears or the deep sigh. But I knew that my mother loved me.
As a mother now, I am even more grateful for her "motto." How easy it might be to shout or get after my children for their carelessness when something is broken. But because of my mother's example and especially her motto, I am ready with my response.
The crash this morning was one of my "somethings special". I'd received it for my wedding. It was pretty as well as useful. My daughter had the most crestfallen look on her face when I entered the room. She is a tender heart and a cross word can send her into the "depths of despair." I sniffed a little tear back, said the motto, and we clean it up.
I love you Mom!
8 comments:
I love that!
Love that thank you so much for sharing! I think I will use that Motto too! :)
Moms are the best. You are a great mom Annie!
Oh, Annie....thanks! The funniest thing is that I can't remember one single thing that got broken but I remember how much I love each and every one of my children.
Your comments touched my heart and now my motto has changed a bit..."I love grandkids better than I like things." lov mom
Thanks for the reminder. It's tricky at times to remember that it is just "stuff" but I will always love my kids. Your mom is a wise woman.
My mom was exactly the same way...and it has blessed my life!
Okay......wow...I really needed to read that...I need to recite that to myself. What a great mom you have!!!!
You're so good Annie!
Post a Comment