Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Cleanup

Spring is so close I can smell it! I have held back on my yard spring cleaning because I knew after one day in my garden I would get spring fever. (And you thought this post was going to be about spring cleaning the house. HA! Not likely!) Anyway, I couldn't help it today. It was so beautiful outside and we were playing in the front yard anyway, so I just had to do a little gardening. Now it has HIT me... I can't wait to get my gardens going!!!! I have been planning layouts on and off for the last two months but now I am getting really excited. I have been reading about the "square foot garden" and it sounds too good to be true. I am still pretty skeptical of the raised garden thing. But I guess I'll give it a try this year. The only thing I have a hard time with is... I really like the creativity that comes with landscaping and sculpting the gardens. Who wants boring old square ones? But they say you can produce way more with a lot less space. Any advice? Have you tried the garden boxes or raised gardens?

I know there is more snow coming our way, so I'm not going to plant yet anyway. It has pretty much been every other day: sunny and nice then 2-3 inches of snow, sunny and nice, more snow....
So I have a lot more tine to "prepare," but I would love to hear how any of you have done your gardens. Happy spring!

3 comments:

Jessica Newman said...

I know how you feel about the spring fever!
Can't wait until we are in a house again. A garden sounds great!

Ang said...

We have a beautiful square foot garden all set up..........but we are TERRIBLE gardners. We followed exactly what it said to do online but we didn't factor in all the rain we'd get last year. Our plants ended up rotting at the roots and we didn't get much produce. We can never figure out if we're giving too much water or not enough. We decided we're really good at raising healthy happy kids, but pets and plants are not our talent!! Love ya and can't wait to see how your garden ends up!

Brigette said...

You can still follow the square foot gardening technique without having boring rectangles. We are putting in a pretty kitchen garden with raised beds while combining sfg. Just like you, I've been planning it for the last several months. Excited is an understatement.