Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembrance

I love Veterans Day! I love my county and freedom! I love history and learning about the people and events that have changed the world. I love the music that honors the people who have served (and those who have died) to protected freedom. I want my children to learn and appreciate all that has happened in the past that has brought them to this beautiful future of freedom and knowledge.

I have appreciated Veterans Day since I was a teen, but didn't come to a full understanding until I was in Europe on November 11 and Remembrance Sunday. We, in the United States are so sheltered from the devastation of the World Wars. We lost many good men and women in the battles, but not our homes. Our cities and country were not ravaged by the wars. Our land was not littered with the bombs, barbed wire, guns and bodies of soldiers. Few in our nation even know what an air raid siren sounds like.

I was in Wales on Nov 11...Everyone wore red poppies. I walked through cities that had been reduced to ruins. I saw the fields of France that had once been red with the blood of soldiers. It was a different feeling to be surrounded with the reality of what so many had witnessed first hand. To them, even the children, the day seemed more sacred. 

I realized that in the United States, we might look forward to parades or performances or time off... but many have forgotten the reason this date is a "holiday." And we have one day... I loved that in Europe they had Remembrance Sunday as well... a sacred day. 

The history of  our"Veterans Day" is interesting, changed so we now use it to honor our veterans, which is wonderful... but Nov 11 has a larger historical importance to the world. And we are part of that. We forget too easily. Make things "comfortable" to quickly. It is healing to remember sorrow and learn from our mistakes.

 I am determined that at least five little Americans will be taught and learn to appreciate the past! Have a wonder Remembrance Day/ Veterans Day! Pin on a poppy or wave a flag and be thankful for all you have!

1 comment:

mom C said...

My Dear Annie, you have said volumes in these few paragraphs. Would that every family would take the time to bring back the past to help us appreciate the present and future. I love what you are teaching our grandchildren. Thank you for being the wonderful mother that you are.