Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Botched "Mom Awards"

I've done it again! I've just lost another nomination for "worlds best mom." According to my two oldest, I have made today, "the worst day EVER!!!!"
It all started this morning around six, as I lovingly woke them in time to get some forgotten homework done. They were cheerful and grateful and got right to work. It was a half an hour later that things began to head south. That was when I informed them that I'd not be taking them to school if their room was not clean. They had about 45 minutes to do a 15 minute job, but somehow the time just flew by with little result.
Arg! I had to make the really hard decision... do I say, "Oh never mind, you can finish it after school." Or do I stick to my guns and make them late? Being a mom is not for sissies, that's for sure! So what would you do???? I made them late. This is the first time my girls have ever been late to school and they were mortified! Both burst into tears when they realized I was serious. When the work was done, they were 30 minutes late. One girl declared she hated school and just wanted to stay home today. (She was actually dragged screaming to the car... I know, I'm awesome). The other had decided to stop crying and hurry things along.
I walked them into the office. The secretary had to suppress a smile when I told her that it was their first time being late and they didn't know what to do. She tried to make them smile by joking that it was a big deal... they didn't see the humor. They both asked me to walk them to class and I thought there was going to be two little melt downs right there in the hall when I kissed them, wished them a good day and told them no. I had put on a good "stern mom face" for all of this, but inside my heart was weeping as I watched my terrified little girls try to march bravely down the empty halls toward their separate classes. I wished I could be there to stand by them as they had to knock on their doors and walk into confront 25 staring, curious faces of their peers. I wished I could comfort them, I knew the heat would rush to their faces as they explained why they were late. I knew that they would hurry to their seats and sit as low as possible in their desks.
But I also knew that it was a lesson they had to learn and one that only I could teach them. And I hope when they come home this afternoon perhaps it will have not be the ABSOLUTE worst day ever.

4 comments:

Ang said...

Made me tear up a little as I read that! It really is so hard to be a mom - and to do the right things for our kids! I'm sorry for the hard day. The best thing is that you taught them a great lesson that they will not soon forget! Keep stomping on - you're awesome!! Someday they will totally thank you and call you for advice!

sportyrls said...

Way to go Mom! These are the little mistakes and lessons that kids need to learn while they're young so they don't have to make them when they're older. Way to stick to your guns!

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

So impressed that you stuck with it! They will never forget that lesson.

Sherri said...

The fact that it is your girls first time to be late...is proof enough that your a FANTASTIC mom!!! Those situations are never easy!!