Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Women at a well... musings

For centuries the girls and women of civilizations would collect water from the well for her house hold. While this must have been a back breaking and exhausting chore, I can't help feeling that we miss out on something that is essential to all human kind, but especially to women. Personal interaction. Historically this was the time that these women could chat and interact with one anther before going back to their very full lives. We are so blessed to have an army of modern conveniences at our fingertips to make our lives easier. But somehow, with all these time saving devices, our lives are no less busy. Ironically, we seem to have even less time than we used to. And what has gone by the way side? Sadly: personal interaction. Instead of walking next door or to the office down the hall, we e-mail, text or just post a comment. Think about the last time you called someone to just see how they were or ask a simple question. Texting is convenient, efficient and serves a valuable purpose... but it is over used and we are slowly losing that quality of personal touch and necessary human emotion in our every day contacts.

Social media is one of the largest growing enterprises on the Internet. It is fabulous for getting in touch with friends and family far and near. But it seems unfortunate that we find out our neighbor is ill because we read it on face book and not because we stop to say hello by the mailbox.


Heaven forbid we should send a real note through the mail! (Those notes, tangible, not virtual, have a little something that holds meaning. It exudes an emotion: Caring).


I am not saying that we should chuck our cell phones and bury our computers... I think certain members of my family would suffer cardiac arrest if we did that. However, I am concerned that as my children grow, that we remain able to carry on a full conversation with someone face to face and not just with our texting thumbs.


So, I hope I see you at the well... or maybe at the mailbox.

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

You should join the army!!! They have activities and opportunities for personal interaction all the time! (and it is usually family friendly!) I think what you are saying is true, though....definitely important not to lose focus and get too distracted! I wish I could meet you at your mailbox! Miss you!

mom C said...

AMEN AND AMEN! Annie I treasure when we meet at the 'well' almost every day (on the phone) What would I do without my little sunshine saying "Hello mom, this is Annie "). This is ana almost lost art (persosnal communication) and I hope you young parents will continue to teach the joy of 'face to face'! lov mom

Ang said...

Somehow I missed this post. It was beautiful written and I completely agree. Shawna is one of my dearest friends and we do text a lot....mostly because we just have to ask a quick question but we know we'd get talking way too long! I went and talked to her today for awhile and left feeling refreshed and happy. It is very important to have the 'face to face' conversations also! Thanks for the thoughts!

Sherri said...

I love this post! I have a few friends who send letters every once in awhile...I LOVE IT!!!