Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who needs to bathe?

It was a quiet Sunday evening... we had finally finished all our meetings and church assignments and were lounging about watching a movie before tucking the kids in. Sounds nice huh? Well, then we went into the basement and guess what? We now have an indoor swimming pool. Our pressure reducer-thing-a-ma-jig has gone kaput. So, to stop the waterfall on the wall, Brett had to dig under a couple feet of snow to turn off the water main in the front yard. And now I am looking forward to a lovely day without water tomorrow.

(Brett will fix it for Family Home Evening. Maybe we'll have a correlating lesson on water storage and preparedness). Although it still doesn't make me feel any better about a whole day ahead of me without a shower and flushing toilets with a pitcher of water (potty training included). Brett is trying to make me laugh at this "stinking" situation... "Don't forget Hon'... If it's yellow let it mellow... if its brown flush it down." Easy for him to say. He gets to go to work to use the potty!

All in all, it is a great lesson in gratitude. I am so grateful to have flushing toilets, warm water, CLEAN water that comes right into our homes, a washing machine that all I have to do is load and walk away... I really am quite spoiled. So tomorrow we will be playing "pioneers." We might even smell like them too!

You know, its a little like the women going to the well (our storage barrels are in the basement and too heavy to carry upstairs). So I will be making frequent trips to "the well" tomorrow... too bad I don't have any other ladies to chat with like they did long ago. Well, at least I have a good excuse not to do laundry.

Hope you all had a nice warm shower!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh no...that stinks! :-) Hopefully you get your water mess cleaned up soon! Yep, times this like makes us all more grateful for the things we may take for granted.

Brigette said...

Oh boy, I will definitely think of you as I am enjoying all of my water--more gratefully I should add. Good lesson.

Danae said...

So sorry! I hope that you get everything fixed and cleaned up soon. No doubt your laundry will be waiting patiently for you. ;o)

Emily said...

You are so hilarious! I can totally picture you telling me that story face to face! ha ha. I am soo sorry! That stinks! I was actually thinking about what we would do in similar situations bc of Haiti. I cannot imagine life without running water/clean water! We are so blessed! Love you, Stinky! ha ha. :)

Ang said...

Oh man...hope it's fixed for tomorrow. I've had days like that, and it took everything I had not to ask the neighbors if we could take a shower in their bathroom. Hope nothing got damaged also!