Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sharing something good!

When we were in school, I had a friend who would call me when ever she found a great sale on meat or such. She helped me feed my family on a tight college budget. I really appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Well, along those same lines, when I find something great I just have to share it. (My son is allergic to peanuts, so it's sometimes hard to find granola that he can have). We love granola, so I started trying make it a couple years ago. I am an instant results kinda girl and it was a lot of work for something that was gobbled up in about five minutes. Then I found you can make it in about five minutes on the stove top! It tastes great, doesn't spill in my oven, uses up ingredients that need to be used, and is EASY!

My "recipe" is never the same twice... but you might get the jist of it. I've used leftover homemade syrup, that was too clumpy, as a sweetener. Once I used an apple that the kids took one bite out of and didn't finish. I had a box of Grape nuts that NO ONE liked and threw some of those in until they were used up. At first I followed recipes and then I just went nuts.

You can adjust ANYTHING to make it more or less healthy...
4-ish T Butter (margarine, or oil)
2-3 C Oats
1/4 C ?Honey (or syrup)
1C Bran cereal (I use the "crumbs from frosted shredded wheat... you know the stuff that no one wants to eat).
1/2 C Nuts of any kind
A handful of fruit of any kind (Shredded apples, blue berries, raisins, craisins)
3 T Brown sugar (if you want it sweeter)
3 tps Cinnamon

(Or there are tons of "stove top granola" recipes on line... and I thought I came up with it! Silly me!)
I melt the butter a little in a frying pan. Use a food processor on the nuts and oats and then throw the whole thing in the pan. Toss it around for about three to five minutes (until you smell the toasted oats). And that's it. It's one of my "we're late" breakfasts (when I still want to make it). I'm telling you... it beats stirring every ten minute for an hour in the oven!

The two of you who are granola-a-holics... (you know who you are) Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I am going to try it!

Ang said...

tried it this morning and we all loved it! thanks so much for sharing! it's definitely faster than my recipe - though mine makes about 10 times the amount!!