Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Brutally honest

Have you ever noticed that we usually show our best side to people? That's obvious... I know. But what we don't think about is that because people only see that "good side" of us, they often think that's all there is to our lives. There are a few blogs I follow where the women seem perfect, there project immaculate, and their children angelic. But what I love about these women is that every now and then they take a picture of their homes in less that perfect order, they post a picture of their children still in their p.j.s in the afternoon, snap a shot of themselves with hair disheveled and no makeup... all that normal stuff that happens here all the time. It gives me hope.

So here is a brutally honest post from our neck of the woods: This summer was going to be nothing but fun with my kids. That was my plan... chores in the morning, fun all day, happy family. Easy enough. NOPE. It is five o'clock and they are still trying, or I am trying (and crying) to get their chores done. Things have been less that peaceful today and I am just ready to fly the coup as soon as the daddy turns the door nob. 

I want my children to grow up to be amazing, hard working, righteous men and women. I guess I am feeling the sand and grit, the exhaustion and weariness that the great sculptors must have felt as they chiseled master pieces of marble from rough blocks of rock. The end result will be well worth the immense effort... I know that. But just as those master sculptors of old must have, I am ending a day with tired muscles and sore heart and I am trying to picture what my little masterpieces will be.

4 comments:

Emily said...

All I have to say is that we all have those days...and I am sure I will have more as my kids get older...but at least you are a mother who thinks of their future...sometimes Mom's can easily get bogged down by the day to day and forget about the important and eminent future...that their little ones will grow up and they will be what you raised them up to be--along with their own free will and choices they will claim along the way. So you deserve some time out of the house when your husband gets home...and don't you feel one second of guilt about it! :)

mom C said...

My dear, dear daughter,
The LORD is the sculptor and we are His hands...He is guiding your willing hands well and you are doing an amazing job dear little mother of FIVE lumps of clay :)....Brett is on your team and don't ever forget that his hands are very capable at taking over while you take time for a breather. lov mom

Ang said...

I recently re-read a talk about burdens being made lighter..... a story I loved was about a single mom of 7 children who had to run across the street for a minute and as she was walking back she could hear her children and the many many needs they would have when she walked back through the door. That night it just felt overwhelming (we both know that feeling!) and she prayed that the Lord could just let her come to Him that evening. She felt His answer come to her and He said she couldn't come to Him but He could come to her. Just a little reminder. I love you so much and I know how hard it is sometimes, but isn't it nice to know that we are caring for the Lord's lovely children and He will help us through the tough times!! Have a better day! :)

Sherri said...

I love the sculpting part...I hope I'm sculpting my kids correctly! I know they are sculpting me! :)