Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Monday, February 1, 2010

"You've got a handful!"

If you have more than one child, or even just one who happens to behave LIKE a child from time to time, you're bound to run into THEM. You know who I am talking about... those people in the grocery store, in the line at the bank, the library or just about any public setting... They take one look at your darling little crowd and issue intelligent comments like, "Are they ALL YOURS?" "Do you PLAN your family?" "Are you done YET?" or my personal favorite..."Boy! you've got your hands full!" Most people mean no harm and are just admiring your "gaggle" (that one is for you Mel) but some are down right rude. (I opted to leave those comments out).

I used to just smile and laugh with them until one day, out of the blue, my four-year-old said, "Mommy, why do people always ask if your hands are full?" It took me a moment to realize what she was talking about. Then it occurred to me that I had never considered my children's feelings about all those comments. That was when I started to think about my reactions. If I shrugged or smiled wearily, what was I saying to my children? They are the best decisions my husband and I have ever made!

So now I have a ready response to those comments that inevitably come our way. And you know, it has been really fun to see the reactions that my come-backs cause. My favorite: A man just leaving the neighbors house saw us all playing in our front yard. He said the usual, "Wow, you have your hands full!" To which I smilied and quipped "Not yet." He started to drive away and then kicked his truck into reverse, stuck his head out the window and asked, "Did you just say 'Not yet'?"

A FEW TO HAVE FUN WITH:
~They had a buy one get two deal.
~You should see the twelve I left at home. (I love this one!!!!)
~Makes for great fun!
~We are trying to market chaos.
~(This one was my uncle's) Let those who want to have a big family, go ahead. We only have ten.
~We'll keep going until we have an ugly one.
If you've ever read the book Cheaper by the Dozen (A true story by the way) the father, who is very proud of his family, had quite a few of these. The obvious one "They come cheaper by the dozen!"
Hope you have fun and I would LOVE to hear some of your family's incounters! If you have a good come-back, may I have permission to use it too?

10 comments:

Marley Family said...

Wow its like no one has ever seen 4 kid family before. I remember my family getting the same reactions when I was little. Crazy! Your family is so cute. You keep havin those babies Annie;)There wonderful!

Trulee said...

"Not yet" is hilarious! The other day Randy and I took our four kids and four nieces and nephews out for pizza. It looked like we had a child every year for eight years, including two sets of twins. Somebody walked by and said, "You have your hands full" and it didn't occur to me until later that he thought they were all ours. Randy and I laughed and laughed. Once you hit four, what's another four? or twelve? Wish I would have had the "not yet" comeback. That would have been great.

Melly said...

Oh Annie your way too much fun. I am not bright enough to think of great come-backs till a few days later. And yes I have had my fare share of comments but now I'm kinda on the other end cuz about the only thing we do all together is church. The older they get they are off doing their own thing. Thus enjoy every minute of it. Much like everything else it soon passes by. ;)

Danae said...

Haha, I get those comments all the time. People can be so tactless. My favorite is, "Are they twins?" Ryan actually told someone once that one was ours, and they other was his mistress's. You should have seen the reaction!

Ang said...

Not only the comments but the stares. My kids actually love it! We'll go with all 7 kids to the store and get the same comments...always "are they all yours"? and we've often said...."actually we left half of them at home!"
We've gotten a lot of good comments too though....at a restaurant once a young family with 2 kids said they were so impressed that they maybe wanted a big family too!
People always ask when we'll be done and I've just told them when we get an ugly one.
Surprise - we aren't done after this baby comes either, so hope you're not too shocked!!
I LOVE having a big family and my kids do too - I don't care what anyone else says!

Emily said...

What? People are so rude! I have been hearing a lot of stories like this lately! People telling you how to raise your kids, too...I have heard stories about that. Never come in contact with people like that yet. I love your attitude and your reactions to the comments. Good for you! How dare people ask if you are done or if you PLAN your family! Geesh! People are crazy! It isn't their business! Plus your family is adorable! :)

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

Thanks for the great come backs. Great idea. I get that ALL the time when I go out, so I will have to try one.

Jessica Newman said...

I actually love it when people notice my kids. People are usually willing to open doors for us and help make our days easier. I don't mind the comments and a bit of extra attention. Use it to your advantage!

Brigette said...

I GET THAT ALL THE TIME! It always annoyed me but I didn't really think about it. So thank you for your post. I definitely now know what to do next time!!!!

Trulee said...

I heard another one today I had to share with you: "Well, we used to have 10, but we sold four. We couldn't sell the six we have left. They didn't work hard enough."

I laughed so hard! I hope you enjoy that one!