Our little bit of heaven! True love + sweet peas = heaven on earth!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

No sick days for moms!

Being a mom has got to be the most rewarding job in the entire universe! I am saying that in all seriousness... I totally love my job! In what other job do your co-workers love you no matter what you've done? In what other job are you the most popular person around? (That can be good and bad... the word popular is used very loosely here. I thought about this "perk" long and hard one day as I was trying to find a hiding place to have a quiet phone call and ended up locking myself in the bathroom with children pounding on the door just to be in my presence).The benefits are "heavenly." However, with all the perks and rewards of this totally coveted and amazing job, there is one slight drawback... no sick days. That's right applicants. Not one. From the moment you "sign on the dotted line" you are on call 365 days a year.

So this last week I was really really REALLY wishing for a sick day... a lot of them. My husband showered me with sympathy and then kissed my poor little sick head and left for work. (Bless his heart, he even took our oldest to school so that I didn't have to worry about the carpool). So blah blah blah... very sick and all that jazz.

A few of the highlights from this week:

1. My oldest was a wonderful little nurse!
2. After 6 brothers (with really nasty brotherly habits) I still can't... ew, I hate to say it... hawk a loogie or cough up that nasty stuff.
3. Sympathy from (I'll generalize it to protect his innocence) my family and then, "So when will dinner be ready?"
4.To see how concerned my kids are for me when I'm not my usual self.
5.Its amazing to know how much we women really can endure and still do our "jobs."
6. The comment that my hubby and kids have made the minute I am starting to feel a little better: "Wow, look at that mountain of laundry!"

So to all you ladies out there who have joined the ranks of motherhood and have marched on through sickness and health... cheers! And may the fun continue. (PS... I thought about taking a picture of the laundry just to show you all, but I couldn't fit all of Mt. Stink-a-lot in the picture).

8 comments:

Candria said...

OH Annie! Love your post, but I'm so sorry you were sick! As much as I hate having my kids sick and would rather it be me then them, it is a lot easier sometimes to take care of them, then to have you be the one that needs 'taking care of'! I wished we lived closer!
Isn't it amazing how just missing one day of daily "clean up" can produce mountains of laundry or anything else?!! Hope you are feeling better!

Marley Family said...

That is a draw back. I hope your feeling better. P.s. I love #2 on your list. Made me laugh:)

Melanie said...

Glad you are feeling better! What a great post. And, as Lon would say, "Moms aren't supposed to get sick!" So, I guess you are off to attack your laundry pile, huh? Isn't it amazing how quick the pile of stink grows? :-)

Emily said...

I just have to add that when husbands/fathers are sick they turn into one of the kids and cannot move or do anything at all...yet, the moms/wives are "able" (for lack of a better word) to still get through the day taking care of the kids and some of the regular duties. :) I am sorry you were sick...nothing worse than being a sick mom! We have had our share of sickness this year and summer cannot come fast enough for me! :) Loved this post!

Danae said...

Haha! This made me laugh! I have been wishing for a sick day myself. I suppose I should feel lucky- Ryan will make dinner for us when I'm sick, so long as he isn't sick too. (Which has been the case this last week)

mom C said...

Oh, Annie..I'm so glad you are getting better....I wanted to come take care of you soooooo bad! I love our every (almost) day talks...keep on taking it 'easy' a little so you can get your strength back. That's the hardest part for mommies...not jumping back into the 'stuff to do' stuff the minute you can lift your head of the sick bed. luv mom

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

What a perfect post! I sure hope you are feeling better. I had my day last week and it was not fun!

Lindsay said...

I totally hear you on this one! Cameron got the flu and gave it to me so we both had the flu at the same time! I've never had the flu in my life before this and it totally kicked my butt! I could have slept all day for like a week. But I couldn't :) Had to take care of the little sick boy :)